Authorities have arrested one suspect, 37-year-old Gökmen Tanis, whom they believe to be “associated with the incident” in Utrecht.
This story is still developing. Here’s what we know so far.
What we know
- The attack unfolded at approximately 10:45 am local time in Utrecht, Netherlands, on a tram near the October 24 Square.
- At least three people have died and five were injured after a shooter opened fire, Utrecht police confirmed Monday.
- The gunman fled the area after the attack, and police are investigating whether the suspect had accomplices, said Dutch police spokesperson Joost Lanshage, according to the Wall Street Journal.
- Utrecht police said they are investigating the shooting as a possible terrorist attack. Officials in the Netherlands raised the threat level in Utrecht to its highest classification for the first time ever in the wake of the shooting, according to the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.
- Police have now arrested the chief suspect in the attack, an individual they’ve identified as Gökman Tanis, who is a 37-year-old Turkish-born man. Police said Tanis is “associated with the incident.” The photo was taken by surveillance footage moments before the shooting.
What we don’t know
- The motive of the attack
- Whether there are other suspects involved
- The names of the victims